Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Race with me!

Imagine if you got into your car and drove 55MPH for an hour and 17 minutes (1:17) without stopping. After 77 minutes you stop your car and decide to leave your car where it is an make your way back home by swimming, biking, and running. That’s a half ironman distance race. The race is a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run
Even though we can all identify with this race distance, it’s difficult to appreciate it without experiencing it. On Sunday June 9, 2013, I’m going to experience this great race at the Grand Rapids Triathlon. If you’re interested, you can get inside the race without even breaking a sweat!
Sunday morning, I’ll zip up my wetsuit and jump into the Thornapple River with 300 other racers at 7:00AM (or, most likely, a bit later). I don’t believe you’ll be able to see that, however between 8:00 and 8:15 I will transition to my bike and start tracking my ride in real-time using Runtastic. This leg will last between 3:15 and 4:00 hours, depending on conditions and how tired I get. The ride ends where it started. After the bike ride, I’ll start a running session on Runtastic and take off for the half-marathon. I expect that it will take about 2 hours to run the 13.1 miles. Once again, you’ll be able to see my progress in real-time through Runtastic, including street maps, speed, location, etc. Hopefully my battery will last the whole way.
I wouldn’t expect that you’d stay glued to your phone or computer, but you might get a good sense of the race if you check in during the morning. At the conclusion of the run, you can view the finish line in real-time as athletes cross it (http://www.livestream.com/grandrapidstri2013)!
If you’re interested in checking in on Sunday morning, use this link and look for the biking and then the running sessions.
http://www.runtastic.com/en/users/Gary-Holbrook/sport-sessions
There will be two sessions. If you see a running session, use that one. Otherwise, I’m still on my bike. You can click the image below to embiggen it.
image

No comments: