Sunday, September 21, 2008

Stanching Greatness

This month's issue of Men's Journal (October 2008, p. 30) has an interview with Thom Beers, creator of such television staples as Deadliest Catch and Ice Road Truckers.  Think what you wish about the quality of his shows, there is little denying that he is a superstar amongst film-makers.  He is talented and driven, to be sure.

There were a number of things in the article that indicate Thom may be of questionable moral character.  Having found myself glued to many of his shows, it did not surprise me to discover that he is a "colorful" personality.  He did, however, mention something that really resonated.

"Thank God Ritalin wasn't big when I was a kid or it would have calmed me down and I'd be a middle manager at a car lot."

His statement makes me wonder how many great people we have lost to the complacency afforded by legal modern drugs.

No comments: