Friday, February 1, 2008

Retrospective

During 2002 I gave some consideration to joining the National Guard.  Fortunately for me, it wasn't financially possible.  Fortunate not because I did not serve to protect my home, but fortunate because I would probably have been deployed to a middle eastern hornet's nest. 

Using the National Guard for a foreign war was a bad idea.  I'm sure there are plenty of people like myself who would like to make themselves available for emergencies within the United States, but are unwilling to serve in Iraq.  After all, the guard is a perfect tool for providing assistance during natural disasters.

Apparently the war in Iraq is putting such a strain on the National Guard that their supplies and equipment are running low, impeding their ability to even train new troops (http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0201/p02s03-usmi.html).  Perhaps it's time to reconsider using our reserves for initiating wars?

No comments: